CMF Designer, Spacex
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the goal of enabling human life on Mars.
CMF Designer – Hawthorne, CA, United States
The CMF Designer will develop CMF materials and maintain a selection colours, materials, and finishes. In addition, this individual will work collaboratively with internal team members and external suppliers and vendors to implement CMF designs.
- Analyse and approve colour, materials, and finishes for all projects
- Independently source and maintain a comprehensive internal library of inspirational, advanced, and relevant materials and finishes
- Ideate, visualize, and develop design proposals for colours, materials, and finishes
- Develop digital and physical CMF presentations that show a future vision for SpaceX industrial design
- Collaborate and strategize with cross functional teams, including design and manufacturing, to implement production of final CMF designs
- Manage design intent through colour tuning and material mastering all commodities
- Guide design execution of colours, materials, and finishes for both prototype and production
- Establish and maintain relationships with suppliers and vendors, including identifying new resources for materials to ensure innovative designs
- A bachelor’s degree in colour and material design, transportation design, industrial design, or textile design is now being pursued.
- Technical knowledge of mass production, manufacturing processes, and materials
- Experience delivering successful designs under tight timing constraints
- Demonstrated high colour acuity and ability to pass the Munsell Hue Colour Test with a perfect score
- Excellent at creating and maintaining cross-functional working relationships
- Exceptional visual, communication, and presentation skills
- Proficient in Photoshop, Illustrator, and Microsoft Office
- Must be self-motivated, adaptable, flexible, and able to manage multiple parallel-path projects
- Ability to work extended hours, weekends, and offsite as needed
- Good command over English.
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed based on merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, colour, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.