Exterior Designer, Tesla
Tesla is expediting the world’s shift to renewable energy sources. We provide the greatest solar technology, energy storage systems, and electric cars in the world, allowing consumers to generate, store, and use energy in a completely sustainable manner. For every field, Tesla is committed to acquiring and developing elite people from across the world. Tesla’s headquarters are in California, but the company’s staff is spread across four continents. We want to provide a welcoming atmosphere where people of all genders, races, religions, and backgrounds may come to accomplish their best work. Our world-class teams follow a unique multidisciplinary cooperation philosophy. Every team members are expected to challenge and be pushed, as well as to develop and innovate. We are working on some of the world’s most challenging and pressing issues, and we could not do it without our common desire to make the world a better place.
Exterior Designer – Hawthorne, CA, United States
As an exterior designer in Tesla’s LA Design Studio Team, you will be responsible for the exterior design development of future Tesla vehicles. You will be part of the team that creates and executes world-class vehicle designs in terms of form and function. Using your considerable production design experience and innovative thinking, you will primarily be tasked with creating designs for future cars, but you may also be called upon for other design tasks (interior design, product design, spaceship design, etc.) based on your skillset. Our design team prides itself on being multitalented and flexible, and we look for the same in our potential candidates. You will report to a design manager and this position resides in Tesla’s Design Studio in Hawthorne, California.
- Develop exterior design proposals for Tesla vehicles, ranging from broad design themes all the way to component-level design.
- Create compelling sketches that show a vision for the future of Tesla design.
- Guide a design from the sketch phase to concept modelling in Alias or clay, and through to A-class surfacing.
- Work with engineers to come up with design and engineering solutions that serve the design vision and fit with the engineering constraints.
- Participate in cross-functional strategy, timing, and process discussion as it pertains to vehicle development.
- Work with CMF designers to create designs that consider the opportunities and limits of the colour and trim vision, and work with them to create a unified vision for the designs.
- Work with suppliers to achieve the best possible product in terms of craftsmanship, cost, and engineering, while also staying as close to the design vision as possible.
- Collaborate with the fabrication team to complete prototypes when necessary.
- Occasionally participate in design efforts outside of your area of expertise as necessity and as your own skillset dictates.
- Bachelor’s or master’s degree in Automotive or Transportation Design with a minimum of 2 years of experience in production automotive design — or a combination of advanced and production design.
- Must understand the fundamental differences in design and engineering of premium cars and have examples of completed programs.
- Must have in-depth technical knowledge of prototyping, manufacturing, and assembly processes as it relates to automotive design.
- High level of skill taking 2D sketches to 3D modelling in Alias and clay.
- Excellent at creating and maintaining cross-functional working relationships.
- Exceptional visual and oral communication skills.
- Must be self-motivated and able to manage multiple parallel-path projects.
- Demonstrated an ability to deliver successful designs under tight timing constraints and provide examples of such scenarios throughout career.
- Good command over English.
Tesla is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer committed to diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, colour, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, gender identity or any other factor protected by applicable federal, state, or local laws.
Tesla is also committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. Please let your recruiter know if you need an accommodation at any point during the interview process.
REQ ID : 84718
How to Apply
Join our worldwide teams and become a part of our success storey! The best way to apply is to use our online application system