LATEST CAR DESIGN COMPETITION 2022
LATEST CAR DESIGN COMPETITION – The Inktank.Academy and Oerlkon AM have partnered to sponsor a unique FLASH ONLINE DESIGN COMPETITION!
TIMELINE: LATEST CAR DESIGN COMPETITION
- Open for entries- May 20th 2022 – ONLINE live.
- Final entry deadline – June 28th 2022 ONLINE midnight EST.
- Winners announced – July 1st 2022 ONLINE presentations, reveal and award presentations with judges.
BRIEF: LATEST CAR DESIGN COMPETITION
They will be looking for ingenuity both in the design and application of Oerlikon’s printing technology as well as some good old lateral thinking. Given the desperate state of our planet and pollution legacy from the auto industry, we encourage you vehemently to include material saving, energy-conscious, and efficiency concerns in your proposal.
Inktank and Oerlikon are inviting any person interested worldwide (18+) to submit design proposals that use Oerlikon’s 3D Clip Technology and SLM (Metal 3D Printing) in the context of an automotive interior. You can design any part of a car interior you like, gearshift, IP, wheel, seat, pedals, whatever you believe would be a good part of 3D PRINT using Oerlikon’s printing capabilities. It can be futuristic, realistic, for production or advanced design, it’s entirely up to you! Try to stretch yourself and use this versatile technology to its limits and your own.
WHAT SHOULD BE THE INSPIRATION?
There are print limitations, however, the designs can be as the blue sky and out of the box as imaginable! Some starting ports could be:
- Designs for smaller components in the interior. Maybe complicated structures that could otherwise not be produced with traditional tech but can be done through 3D Printing. Check out this video!
- You could print a metal part and a plastic part and interlock them to make an interesting combo.
- Personalise components, custom interior components tailored to your liking in terms of styling, or maybe some ergonomic parts that are made to fit your body or special needs?
- Think bigger than the printing size, your design can be printed in multiple parts. Maybe you can come up with a modular structure of (interlocking) pieces that can form the structure of
the seat or dashboard.
PRIZES: LATEST CAR DESIGN COMPETITION
Your design 3D PRINTED!
From your wonderful submissions, judges will select a winner to have their design 3D printed by Oerlikon. The winner will receive a physical copy to keep*. All winners will also enjoy a full and free membership to Inktank.Academy for one full year from the announcement of the winners on July 1st, 2022. Save the date now to show what you can create for the automotive industry and beyond!!! We have a provision to select one overall winner but are keeping an open mind about other potential winners should the occasion arise. The prize for these outcomes will be decided upon conclusion.
BENEFITS OF JOINING?
- You will receive live feedback from industry experts.
- You will be promoted on Inktank Academy’s social media network and affiliates.
- You will receive exposure through Oerlikon’s social media network and affiliates.
- You will learn about cutting edge manufacturing technology.
- If you win any category you will receive a full free subscription to Inktank Academy for one year from July 1st 2022 and a 15% discount indefinitely thereafter.
- If you win (and/or are highly commended) your work will be featured in global design magazine articles online.
- If you win you will receive a 3D printed example of your design made by Oerlikon AM.
- Your winning entry will be technically developed with experts at Oerlikon AM.
*Oerlikon will reserve the right to make other copies to be exhibited at car shows and events worldwide with full credit going to the author(s). We encourage you to make your design as visible as possible online so that there is no dispute about where the idea originated.
Jose Wyzygrod is a Senior Manager, Chief Designer Automotive UX AR/VR, Honda R&D Americas, Inc. Responsible for developing and managing all aspects of our design and creative output and providing leadership and vision while defining new mobility experiences. He works closely with designers and engineers closely in creating commercially successful projects for Honda and Acura. With over 25 years of Interior Design expertise, Jose will bring invaluable optics to this competition.
Manuela Bonaiti is the Co-founder and Strategy Director at CMF experts Baolab. She is an architect and works closely with her cross-industry team to create cutting edge CMF and Trend analysis and designs for clients in the automotive, industrial design, and fashion sectors to name but a few.
Peter Böttner is a Senior Application Engineer at Oerlikon and has been with them for 10 years. He has vast experience in developing products using additive materials that usually cannot be made with traditional methodologies. Oerlikon’s additive manufacturing enables dreamers, designers, engineers, athletes, and more, to produce objects they would not have been able to make before and Peter makes those dreams come true.
Stefan Richardt is Oerlikon’s Sale Manager for Additive Manufacturing, Europe. After graduating as a mechanical engineer at the University of Applied Sciences in Coburg, Germany, he joined Concept Laser GmbH in Lichtenfels, Germany. With vast experience in sales in Asia, Southeast Asia, India and Switzerland, Stefan knows a good product when he sees one!
Jannis Carius worked as an Advanced Designer and Exterior Designer at Jaguar Land Rover before he started Inktank.Academy in 2018 and taking the role of Managing Director. After finishing his B.A. in Industrial and Product Design in Magdeburg, Germany, he joined Mercedes AMG as an intern later completed his M.A. degree in Vehicle Design at the Royal College of Art in London, UK.
Peter ten Klooster worked as a transportation designer and surfacer at Schweizer Design Consulting in Stuttgart, Germany for clients like Porsche, Mercedes, Hyundai and Airbus. He then became Co-founder and Digital Manager at Inktank.Academy. He started his studies with a B.A. in Industrial Design in Enschede, the Netherlands, after which he moved to London to pursue an M.A. in Vehicle Design at the Royal College of Art in London, UK, where he met Jannis Carius and the idea for Inktank.Academy was born.
Inktank.Academy based in Magdeberg, Germany is an online car design learning platform founded by Jannis Carius and Peter ten Klooster. Launched in 2018 Inktank Academy has grown to be the pre-eminent source for learning how to become a professional car designer (yes, its a real job!…can you believe it?). The platform is powered by some very smart digital tools to optimise the user’s experience which is ultimately to develop anyone’s ambition to become a pro car designer.
Oerlikon AM is a leading provider of metal Additive Manufacturing solutions. The extensive portfolio ranges from the co-development and contract manufacturing of high-quality and performance-optimized components, through R&D, to the production of the company’s own metal powders for AM.