TESLA IS HIRING ON THE POST OF EXTERIOR DESIGNER
TESLA IS HIRING – As an exterior designer in Tesla’s China Design Studio Team, you will be responsible for the exterior design development of future Tesla vehicles. You will be part of the team that creates and executes world-class vehicle designs in terms of form and function and futuristic vision.
Using your considerable production design experience and innovative thinking, you will primarily be tasked with creating designs for future cars, but you may also be called upon for other design tasks (interior design, product design, etc.) based on your skillset. Our design team prides itself on being multitalented and flexible, and we look for the same in our potential candidates. You will report to the China design director and this position resides in Tesla’s Design Studio in China.
RESPONSIBILITIES: TESLA IS HIRING
- Develop exterior design proposals for Tesla vehicles, ranging from broad design themes all the way to component-level design.
- Create compelling sketches that show a vision for the future of Tesla design.
- Guide a design from the sketch phase to concept modelling in Alias or clay, and through to A-class surfacing.
- Work with engineers to come up with design and engineering solutions that serve the design vision and also fit with the engineering constraints.
- Participate in cross-functional strategy, timing, and process discussion as it pertains to vehicle development.
- Work with CMF designers to create designs that consider the opportunities and limits of the colour and trim vision, and work with them to create a unified vision for the designs.
- Work with suppliers to achieve the best possible product in terms of craftsmanship, cost, and engineering, while also staying as close to the design vision as possible.
- Collaborate with the fabrication team to complete prototypes when necessary.
- Occasionally participate in design efforts outside of your area of expertise as necessary and as your own skillset dictates.
SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Automotive or Transportation Design with a minimum of 3 years of experience in production automotive design, or a combination of advanced and production design.
- Must understand the fundamental differences in the design and engineering of premium cars and have examples of completed programs.
- Must have in-depth technical knowledge of prototyping, manufacturing, and assembly processes as it relates to automotive design.
- High level of skill taking 2D sketches to 3D modelling in Alias and clay.
- Excellent at creating and maintaining cross-functional working relationships.
- Exceptional visual and oral communication skills.
- Must be self-motivated and able to manage multiple parallel-path projects.
- Demonstrated an ability to deliver successful designs under tight timing constraints and provide examples of such scenarios throughout their career.
- Good read and write ability, and good spoken English ability.
WHERE TO APPLY
Tesla is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer committed to diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, colour, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, gender identity or any other factor protected by applicable federal, state or local laws.